Let’s be real for a moment…Pregnancy can be an adventure, whether it is your first or fourth! You’ll be adapting to the changes physically and emotionally. Your body will be adapting with the release of hormones, altering tissues and structures allowing for the best environment for the baby/babies inside of you. With all of these changes it is common for you to experience aches and pains along the way. It is extremely common for pre-existing injuries to resurface or for new conditions to arise. Because you are limited to traditional medical treatments during pregnancy due to the health risks associated, Chiropractic care is a valid, safe and natural form of treatment for many ailments.
Here is my TOP 10 list for why you should consider seeing a Chiropractor during pregnancy.
- Low Back Pain
- Reduced Labor Times
- Reduced Instances of Back Labor
- Swelling of extremities
- Day-To-Day Aches & Pains
- Improved Position of your baby/babies
- A Less Painful Delivery
- Hip/Pelvic pain
In addition, Chiropractic care postpartum can help both Mom and child/children with:
- Milk Production
- Postural Strain Associated with Breastfeeding
- Latching issues
- Roughly 61% of women report back pain at some point during pregnancy.
- A study was performed that included 115 pregnant patients with lower back or pelvic pain treated with chiropractic care. After one week, 52% said they had already noticed improvements; that percentage jumped to 70% after 1 month; and eventually to 85% after three months. Patients showed significant reductions in pain and disability. One year after the start of the study, 88% of patients reported improved back and pelvic pain post-delivery. No adverse reactions/side effects noted.
- The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, published a where participants were randomly assigned at 24-28 weeks’ gestation to receive either chiropractic care or standard medical care. At 33 weeks’ gestation, those in the chiropractic group had significant reductions in pain and disability, while the standard medical care patients did not. No adverse reactions/side effects noted.
- Chiropractic adjustments(spinal manipulation) has been shown through blood tests to increase cortisol, neurotensin and oxytocin.
- Cortisol acts to decrease local edema and pain by blocking early stages of inflammation. High levels can promote wound healing.
- Neurotensin can neutralize pain induced from stress as it interacts with the serotonin neurons in the brain.
- Oxytocin is also anti-inflammatory. Most important to expecting mothers and mothers postpartum is that when levels increase, so does the trust you feel from others and the more you want to bond with the people around you. Bonding during pregnancy with your loved ones and when breastfeeding their is critical!
I hope you found the post informative. Please don’t hesitate to comment below or contact me directly with any questions or concerns.
Yours in Healh,
“Dr. Glazer really helped me not have the ‘normal pregnancy aches and pains.’ I was able to continue working (physically demanding job) all the way until the day I had my baby. His techniques were non-aggressive and extremely safe for me and baby from trimester 1 all the way to the end of the pregnancy. I would highly recommend him to any of my friends and family who are expecting!”